I want to help.


Grab This!



Ignorance IS bliss.  But I am not ignorant.  And I am hurting.  PLEASE visit the link above and help.

The world is off balance. I wish the energy I/we currently feel in the politics of Wisconsin could catch on and make a positive difference to people in even worse scenarios.  There are so many people, so many countries, suffering.

This has NOTHING to do with politics and everything to do with me being tired. I am tired, I am sad, confused, guilty, shaken, etc. Reading, knowing, being aware, and opening up my eyes and heart is unsettling. I know why people see an image, then turn the page and move on. Ignorance IS bliss. Here goes.

I love perusing blogs. I enjoy the blend of intelligent, entertaining writing and quality photography. It's like an online magazine written by everyday folk like me. I love to be inspired. I love making things and creating.  So...I was on a design Blog last week of a party planner.  She did a baby shower for what looked like $10,000.  Seriously classy and amazingly inspirational.  Loved it.  Knew if I had that money I would never, ever do something like that, but it was still fun to look. (I will always be a rummager at heart.) I wondered if I had the kind of money this mom-to-be had if I would even have a baby shower in the first place...

Then this week, I see another Blog. A Canadian woman searching for donations as small as $5.00 to help strangers, orphans with Downs Syndrome in Eastern Europe, be adopted. There are US families wanting them, but having to wade through massive rolls of red tape and do months of fundraising. FUNDRAISING. Begging for money in order to save babies and children no one wants. They are chained to cribs. They are malnourished, never read to, never played with, never held, never sung to, never taken outside, etc.  No one wants them, yet they have astronomical price tags.  One photo showed 4 toddlers in one crib, no mattress or blanket.  Hair cut short or shaved so they don't get lice or tangles.  I don't know if I will ever forget that photograph.  If they are not adopted by age 5 they go to an institution, a place you would not leave your pet.

It made the entire news story today seem worthless, insignificant. It made me feel so guilty for being about to throw my boy 2 birthday parties. It hurts me to breath just thinking about it. It made me determined to do something. When I became a mom I feel like I became a mom to more souls than these 2.

1 comment:

Kmarie said...

Good thoughts. Advocacy is always needed. You have a mother's heart. Perhaps this post will touch people who have no idea what can go on in those orphanages.

Don't feel guilty about your son's party. We also need to take joy in what we were given. But yes, perhaps that one beautiful shower could have still been beautiful on a smaller budget. It is tough in North America to remember that even ten dollars makes a difference somewhere else.

I love your heart. Love your photos. Love this post. I hope the birthday went well!

Total Pageviews